Millenial Moms are doing the damn thang! Better known as Generation Y, Millennials were born between 1980-1997, thus we range in age from 18-35 years old. We grew up in an electronic filled society with increasing access to the online sphere and social media. We are the most ethnically diverse generation with a huge “follow your dreams” mindset (thanks to our parents). We are confident and overly optimistic (which can benefit us & set us back at the same time). All this is spilling over into our parenting style.
So why are we winning at parenthood over Baby Boomers?
- We are not for the shits: Bad grades & bad behavior are absolutely unacceptable & punished.
- We do not bullshit our kids: We do our best to be honest about societal issues including religion, politics, & the world in general. We never want to pacify them or create a bubble. We don’t lie about Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, or Easter Bunny. Following convention or tradition are not our main concerns.
- We have conversations with them like adults: Which fosters language & brain growth.
- We are not afraid to parent alone: Because we are opting to marry later ( in some cases not at all) or our relationships fail we do not fear raising little ones alone.
- We speak more openly about sexuality: With a more open environment of queer, lesbian, gay, transgender, & polyamorous relationships we desire to be the first to discuss it with our kids.
- We deeply support their personal interests: Whether it be music, sports, acting, art, etc. we invest in what makes them tick & why.
- We respect their privacy: Our goal is to build trust.
- We support their curiosity: They inquire so we reply.
Our main goal is to raise self-sufficient individuals who are more well-rounded, open-minded, & non-judgmental. We do not want lazy, entitled, narcissistic, spoiled brats; which unfortunately is the exact description of most of the millennial generation. We are aiming to take the best of what our parents taught us & evolve it; & we are doing a damn good job!
Keep up the great job Millennial Moms! We are #WINNING