Summer is just on the horizon and all of my natural beauties know those hot & humid days can be torture on our already moisture stricken strands. Enters protective styles! A protective style is any hair-do that keeps your ends safely protected. We love these styles not only because they protect the hair, but they require minimal up-keep and provide much needed moisture.
With a lack of pulling or tension, protective styles help promote healthy hair growth, maintain healthy ends, avoid breakage, & maintain length.
Keep those ends safely tucked away with my top 5 gorgeous & trendy styles.
- Faux Goddess Locs – entails the natural hair being braided then wrapped with synthetic or human hair to create the loc illusion.
- Box Braids – defined by the square shaped hair parts, these braids are low-maintenance, can be worn in various styles, & can last for up to 3 months with proper care.
- French Braids – 3 strands of hair braided to the scalp with or without extensions protects the hair and can last for 1-2 weeks or longer with proper care. Can be worn in two braids or multi-braids for a sassier look.
- Halo Braid – or crown braid is a french braid that is secured around the temple. It is very sophisticated & modern, can be worn to any casual or formal affair.
- Senegalese Twists – or “rope” twists are created by wrapping braiding hair around the root of your natural hair then two-strand twisted to the end of the shaft.
I wore Faux Goddess Locs for several months and absolutely loved them! They were easy to wear, low maintenance, and PROTECTED my ends like nothing else. When I took them out, my ends were PERFECT! No splits, no breakage, and my hair had grown several inches.
Whatever protective style you choose this summer just know your hair will be protected and fabulous! There are so many options, so have fun and be daring!