So here’s the SCOOP, the third Sunday of July is National Ice Cream Day — a holiday declared by President Ronald Reagan back in 1984 to promote the economic well-being of the U.S. dairy industry. It was a nod to the fact that the frozen treat is produced using nearly ten percent of U.S. dairy farmers’ milk supply.
When you get the urge for a snack on a hot, humid summer night, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind? That’s right….Ice Cream! Therefore, it’s only fitting that ice cream be given its own special day. On this day, we hope you enjoy an ice cream cone, a sundae, or a milk shake. Set the diet aside and splurge a little!
Ice cream is nutritious. Although it may be a little heavy on the sugar and calories, ice cream is otherwise good for you. The base ingredient is milk, which is loaded with healthy vitamins and minerals.
The fast food giant McDonalds announced throughout the course of the day, participating locations in the U.S. will be offering free vanilla soft serve cones for everyone. There’s a limit of one per person, but no purchase is required in order to get your ice cream.
National Ice Cream Day is on July 16 and few cities do ice cream as unique as Chicago. From fantastical flavors to tempting toppings to crazy cones, here are just a few of the best Chicago ice cream experiences in the city to help make your National Ice Cream Day more interesting.
- Fruity Plush Cone – The Plush Horse, 12301 south 86th Ave Palos Park, IL
- You Salty- George’s Ice Cream & Sweets, 5306 N. Clark street Chicago, IL
- Old fashion banana split- Margie’s Candies, 1960 N. Western Ave Chicago, IL
- Cubby Crunch –Bobtail Ice Cream, 2951 N. Broadway
- Lucky Charm Toppings- Cone Gourmet Ice Cream, 104 W. Madison Street
- Diary Star Ice Cream, 3472 Devon Ave, Lincolnwood
- Ruth and Phil’s Gourmet Ice Cream, 2636 W. Chicago Ave
Ice Cream Day! I SCREAM, YOU SCREAM, LETS ALL SCREAM ICE CREAM!